Fishtail Braid: Way To Create A Stunning Look
- May 31, 2019
- in News
Who doesn't love a good fishtail braid? It's a classic, staple braid that is beautiful and elegant, yet super simple to re-create once you get the hang of it. If you can nail this classic braid, there are so many other hairstyles you can create, like French fishtail braids, chunky fishtail braids, half-up hairstyles incorporating fishtail braids... the list goes on! In this week's tutorial, we are bringing back another edition of our "Back to Basics" playlist with a straight-forward guide on creating a fishtail braid. If you're new to the braid game or just want to refresh your memory on how to create a fishtail braid in the simplest form possible, read our tutorial below for an easy guide. In just a few minutes you will be braiding like a pro.
It took me a while to master this hairstyle - I'm not going to lie it's a bit complicated at first and can be hard on the arms. The style takes some product, patience, and a little tress finesse, and the end result is completely worth it. Once I did though - I simplified the technique so that you guys can easily learn, practice and master it as well.
1. Separate your hair equally into two parts. Grab the section of hair you want to fishtail, and split it in half. Hold one section in each hand.
Hack: Use a bobby pin to secure your hair tightly in a ponytail; this prevents your braid from unraveling during the process. Once your hair is secure, split the tail evenly in half and follow the steps below. When your braid is finished, carefully remove the bobby pin (at the base of your pony) for a perfectly fishtailed braid.
2. Cross a small sliver of hair from the first section and add it to the second. Grab a tiny section of hair (the smaller the sliver, the more fishtail-like your braid will be) from the outside of the ponytail in your right hand, cross it over top, and join it together with the section in your left hand.
3. Repeat: Cross a small sliver of hair from the left section and add it to the right side. Repeat the same action in step No. 2, but start with the opposite part of your hair.
4. Continue grabbing tiny sections of hair, crossing them over, and joining them to the other half until you've reached the end of your hair. Leave at least 1 in (2.5 cm) <of your hair unbraided so that you can tie it off. Try to use thinner strands the further down you go on your braid. This will help make your braid look more even; your hair becomes naturally thinner towards the ends.
5. Use a small hair tie to secure the end. Wrap a tiny section of hair from the tail around the end of your hair to hide it and pin the hair in place. Secure the strand with a rubber band.
Hack: If you want to make your braid look even thicker, simply "pancake" it. To "pancake," gently tug on the sides of the sections, slightly pulling them apart to loosen the braid.
The fishtail braid looks elegant and will become suitable for early morning, particularly when you have long hair. It is really beautiful and is easy to re-create with the right tools and products, perfect for any special occasion. It is also a hairstyle that can bring you a fancy look and feel, which makes it ideal for a long day. Our favorite braid has been making quite a few appearances on the red carpet. We can name some favorite celebrity interpretations of the trend, such as Kendall Jenner, Minka Kelly, Natasha Poly, Alicia Keys, Eva Longoria, Nicole Scherzinger, Kate Mara, Blake Lively and so on.
Alicia Keys' fishtail is super loose at the top and tight at the bottom for an around stunning finished look.
Kendall Jenner rocks a fishtail with pieces left free to frame her face.
Blake Lively nailed the high fishtail at the premiere of Savages.
If you are worrying that your hair isn’t long enough to create a fishtail braid, let MCSARA hair extension help you. With hair extension’s help, your short hair will ready for a perfect fishtail braid in a few minutes. We supply a lot of much hair and color that is hot trends in this time totally. With real human hair in my company, we ensure to bring hair to you with the best price, best services and especially best quality. A fishtail braid is basically a two strand braid, and it's so easy to create once you learn the technique and practice. Tell us in the comments below - are you a skilled fishtail braider, or is this your first time learning how? What other "Back to Basics" tutorials would you like us to create?